Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Measuring Relevant Results to Achieve Outcomes

Reviewing my results from 2009 resulted in an awakening to the fact that what I was measuring was not relevant to my desired outcomes. In one instance, I was measuring the action steps I committed to take to further my progress towards an outcome. However, I was not relating the progress to the overall desired outcome to see if it was actually working.
“Unless you measure your results you don’t know if or how it’s working.”

– from “Coach breaks through barriers”, by Rich Spence, Financial Post

It’s what you do with the measures that is important.

In retrospect, if I had a checkpoint to see how my action was contributing towards the results I wanted to see, I could assess how it was working. If I had refined my action plan, to take additional action steps consistent with my desired outcome, I would have had a better chance of getting the results I intended.

I have now applied this learning and put more thought and effort into defining my 2010 desired outcomes, with relevant measures of success. My intention is to take action steps aligned with my desired outcome, measure my progress towards them; then assess what’s working, and decide how I can align further action steps to be consistent with my desired outcomes, to get results.

Coaching Challenge: 

What results do you want to realize in the year 2010? How will you know you’re making measurable and relevant progress? Personal accountability strengthens when you share your commitment wtih an accountability partner. Share your 2010 commitments by sending me an e-mail to Sylvia at SylviaGoodeve dot com.

No comments:

Post a Comment